This was read out on the News Quiz on BBC Radio 4 last week. It comes allegedly from the Huddersfield Daily Examiner and it's about a man whose life was saved by a smoke detector. It was a sheer miracle considering he'd taken the battery out and taped it to the ceiling. He decided that he was going to have some chips one night, but he fell asleep in a chair directly under the detector. The pan eventually erupted in flames but the smoke and crackling fat failed to rouse him. Gradually the heat rose and hit the ceiling and the tape began to peel. The alarm then fell on the man's head, waking him up.
(From the "Rest" of RHF)